Saturday, June 10, 2017

So long, Dark Knight

Despite the fact that he was 56 when I was born and his fame was far before my time, I don't recall any time in my life when I didn't know who Adam West was. First and foremost, he was Batman. The first man to ever put on the tights and cowl that we all know and love and give a voice to the Dark Knight.

Growing up, though, he was attached to so much of what I watched and enjoyed.

In the 90s, he voiced one or two episode characters from a lot of my favorite cartoons in that gravely but light voice that every person I've ever met immediately recognized; Rugrats, Batman: The Animated Series, Animaniacs, Johnny Bravo...

He played single roles on t.v. shows I watched like Tales from the Crypt or Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman.

He was EVERYWHERE because EVERYONE wanted him.

He never lost steam either. He has been voicing the animated Mayoral version of himself on Family Guy for 17 years.

His sense of humor was always apparent in his ability to make fun of himself. On Family Guy, his character is a bumbling nitwit version of him.

He portrayed himself on countless "geek" and super hero themed shows and every story I've ever read from those who worked with him was that he was constantly a blast to be around.

There's no part of childhood or adulthood up to this point that didn't include Adam West being involved in at least one show I was watching at any given period. It's honestly heart breaking that he won't be there to continue along as the best part of any t.v. show; watching every episode waiting for the Adam West guest spot.

I will miss so much the pleasant surprise of watching a cartoon and suddenly hearing that voice align with yet another character destined to be a favorite.

Rest in Peace, Caped Crusader

No comments:

Post a Comment