Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Squints Around the World Unite

In 2005, I hadn't been all that involved in watching television. I watched movies with friends if I wasn't out to dinner or at a party with them. I went to shows and generally, if I was home at all, it was to sleep for a bit. 

However, I HAD been a HUGE fan of both Buffy the Vampire Slayer and the spinoff, Angel. Both of those marvelous shows starred or co-starred David Boreanez. 

Unfortunately, both of those had ended in 2003 and 2004, respectively. I hadn't watched much television since. 

Somewhere in the middle of 2005, I saw a preview of David's new show beginning that Fall called Bones. It would be based off of the books by Kathy Reichs about Forensic Anthropologist Temperance Brennan, a bones expert who uses her knowledge to help solve murder cases. 

I had always enjoyed watching Forensic Files on t.v. and reading articles and stories on Criminology. I also really loved David Boreanez in his other work and decided to give this show a try. 

From day one, I was completely enthralled with Bones. The characters pulled me in, made me want to watch more and excited for what would come next. 

Eric Millegan made me absolutely adore Zach Addy right away. I was so crushed by the end of the Gormagon storyline while also being astonished beyond words that I hadn't figured out the story before it ended. 

That is just one of the best things about watching Bones. For me, it was never predictable. 

Characters that I was sure were the culprit each week often wound up innocent. It was wonderfully infuriating. I was always so good at figuring out the puzzle before the ending of other shows and movies! 

Bones was different. 

Every week made me impatient for the next episode. Every season end made me feel sad for the summer hiatus that sometimes felt so prolonged. 

The ongoing battle for the King of the Lab title between Zach Addy and TJ THYNE's Jack Hodgins was endlessly entertaining. 

The slow build up of love between Bones and Booth, played by Emily Deschanel & David Boreanez. It never felt forced. It never felt rushed. Their struggles, while sometimes intense because of their jobs,also managed to be realistic outside of that. 

The horrendously, soul crushing death of Ryan Cartwright's Vincent Nigel-Murray: I cannot recall a television death that left me feeling so emotionally raw as that one. For a few brief minutes, I forgot I was watching a television program and felt the harsh ache of loss watching Dr. Brennan hold Mr. Nigel-Murray in his last moments. 

Watching Hodgins and Angela (Michaela Conlin) fall in love with each other over and over, struggle through horrific problems and always come out stronger... 

Sniffling as Wendell Bray (Michael Grant Terry) was diagnosed with Cancer with a highly improbable remission rate. 

Feeling devastated at the sudden death of would be father, Dr. Lance Sweets, made memorable and lovable by the handsome, talented and brilliant John Francis Daley. 

Realizing how incredibly sad you feel that John Boyd was not part of the cast for the entire series because you absolutely love Aubrey right from his first episode. I cannot express how uncommon it is for me to love such a late introduced character.

Some of my absolute favorite storylines of all-time were centered on Arastoo Vaziri, portrayed by the irreplaceable, incredible and commanding presence of Pej Vahdat. 

We live in a society of people quick to judge others by their skin color, their sexual preference and also their religion. 

Arastoo reminded viewers that those of Muslim belief, among others, are stuck within so many stereotypes that those who practice can often feel obligated to stick the confines of those stereotypes just to function within our society. 

Arastoo faked an accent just to avoid questions about his religious beliefs. He lost his composure when Hodgins even unwittingly acted offensively. 

The best part of Arastoo, for me, is the reminder that we need to recognize as a country that some of the most intelligent and promising individuals are not just Caucasian Americans but Muslim Americans. Denying what these men and women bring to our country not only in terms of culture but knowledge and skills, expertise and work ethic we seem to be sorely lacking in. 

Not to mention, a show that portrays a man of Muslim faith not as a terrorist, or a taxi driver, but a hard-working, compassionate, passionate, brilliant Doctor of Forensic Anthropology? We need some much more of this in the world, especially when portrayed by Pej. 

I could go on about my favorite episodes for hours. I was there when the show began. I sat on the couch tonight, alternating between holding my breath & sobbing into my shirt sleeve as it came to an end. 

I have been both looking dearly forward to and sadly dreading this end. It's an even 50/50 for me on shows that have ended perfectly and others that were extremely disappointing in their wrap up. 

Other shows have come and gone in the 12 years since Bones began. 

I often tuned in late or sporadically. 

I never missed an episode of Bones. 

After the finale tonight, I couldn't be happier with the beautiful, action-packed, intense, on the edge of my seat finish. 

Every single actor and actress over the years made this show the wonderment that it was. I'm already, just in these few hours since it played, wondering how long I will have to wait until a reunion series will happen. 

Thank you to all of you for making me love and admire your hard work so much. 

Thank you to every writer on the show for helping to give depth to each character I already desperately want to see more of.

You will be desperately missed from my DVR list each week. I cannot wait to see what each of you works on next. 

Thank you for 12 years of marvelous entertainment. 


No comments:

Post a Comment